Sunday, October 02, 2005

300mile tune up

I know most of you guys got this the first week with the scoote but as Ive been using it in the city it's taken a while. Took me a trip to both Auto Zone and Pep Boys to get some more Valveline 4-stroke motorcycle oil 10w-40 and to find Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic gear oil. Plus I got this eagle 1 stuff called wipe and shine that is said to remove dust, water spots, bugs etc. and shine figure it would be perfect for a quick stop light scooter wash. Changed all the oils outside in the driveway but didnt get to cleaning it as I had some football to watch. I did notice while doing all this that one of my headlights is blown out. There are those little running lights but I wrode with the high beams since there not too bad. I was thinking that perhaps those little running lights could be changed out for something maybe an led? I also corrected my idle with adjust screw under the seat because last week I set it a little too high so while I had better accelleration it would also pull slightly at lights on a downgrade. The new setting is perfect it runs strong and is really silent. In fact some how the remote start went on while I was in a friends house and we didn't even notice until we went out. Im glad now I always try to use the center stand. I've found a couple new routes that are fun on the scooter so hopefully Ill be racking up more miles soon I can't wait.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mantis...Noticed that you reference the motoman method of break in, yet you utilize Motorcycle Oil vs regular automotive oil that Motoman recommends.

Thoughts?

11:40 AM  
Blogger cmantis said...

Hmm that is interesting and something I hadn't noticed. Actually the motorcycle oil is relatively new as I just saw it at the store the other day. While I am following the motoman method it isnt precisely the same. Essentially I just ride it in a lot of city traffic so stop and go which usually entails throttling/braking in succession. I have noticed that the scooter is riding much smoother since the 'tune up' if you can call it that. I suppose I should go back to his site and read up on the oils. Which do you use?

2:23 PM  
Blogger cmantis said...

Motoman does mention motorcycle oil versus car oil but only in reference to an upcoming article explaining the differences. Sure would be nice to know now though. I will have to decide whether to keep using it or switch back, any ideas?

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'd probably be fine with either. I seemed to interpret Motomans comment that Motorcycle oils are more expensive, with possibly no additional benefit over regular "car" oils. In the end, I think both will protect equally well. Im going to get an oil analysis done at around 1500 miles to find out for myself. Im at 330 miles right now. I did an oil change at 65 miles to Havoline 10w-40 regular dino oil. Plan to change that out at 1000 miles to a full synthetic. Yeah, I know. Im not following Motoman's oil change schedule to a "T" either. But I'll be fine..

11:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I must be the dumbest guy in the world, but I cannot find the gear oil fill opening--where is it?
thanks

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home