Friday, March 17, 2006

REAL Top Speed?

There has been much advertising,questioning, and speculation of the REAL top speeds of these scooters and perhaps I can shed some light on this. I am going to claim a REAL top speed of 55mph on my rx200hp. Now I say REAL in the sense that I can comfortably reach this speed in a relatively short distance. I feel comfortable cruising on most roads with a limit up to 55 mph. I even take it on the highway for brief runs but only in either real heavy traffic or hardly any at all.

Also many riders have reported that their speedos are off by sometimes as much as 5-10mph at the top end. As far as I have been able to determine by pegging against cars is that mine is right on with at most 1/2 mph variance but that could be the car too. The inaccuracy of some guages often lead to confusion. Also some read in kmh and some in mph.

Now Im sure that if I was doing rural riding I could hit a higher speed (and I have hit 61) but of course the road grade, wind, and rider weight all come into account as well. Now Im usually cruising at 20-50 and in stop and go traffic so top speed really isnt a concern but hopefully this will help some of you in dispelling the myths and lies of top speed.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mantis:
LSEGUY from the board here. I absolutely agree...I get the exact same performance. (I am 175lbs) 55mph top speed, with 61 in full tuck or in regular position, with strong tailwind/slight downgrade hill.

5:22 PM  
Blogger cmantis said...

Thanks for the comment that is very useful information. I forgot to mention in my post that I too weigh ~175lbs.

When Brooke heads over to PSF to pick up her new rx200hp for test I want to be there to test the 4-valve head scoot! I will let you know whats up.

1:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mantis. ScootDawg here. Everybody seems to love to advertise top speed of 65mph but that's a pipe dream. Top speed on my Matrix was 54mph until I started souping it up. Personally, I think these things are scary once you get over 50.
Lee

1:55 PM  
Blogger cmantis said...

Agreed! I have been running at 55 before and been sideswiped by a strong guest of wind, scary. I think it might be useful here to mention that many folks have been adding windshields lately with success in both increasing stability at speed and even top end a little. I have yet to try one but as I ride mostly in the city I am not usually riding too (snicker) fast.

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home