Friday, August 17, 2007

Back on the Bike

Well one for two is better than none. The scooter is still in the shop awaiting parts and repair but I did get my motorcycle back last night. As you may recall it picked up a small nail in the rear tire. Rather than buy a new tire I decided to locate a place that could patch it from the inside. From what I hear a mushroom patch (plug/patch combo that goes in from the inside) is the best option. The problem was finding a place that could do it. As you can imagine most stealerships would much rather sell you a new tire that be bothered to repair the old one.

After doing some research on line and talking to a couple of riding friends I decided to take it in and have it done professionally. I started calling around to various shops only to find that many had since closed and were no longer in business. I contact Yamaha City in Philadelphia but was amazed that no matter how many times I told them I had an FZ6 they didn't recognize the model and kept insisting that I had a Suzuki. Well as it turns out they only wanted to sell me a new tire anyways. I then called Philadelphia Cycle Center back up and told them I would be dropping it off. For $55 they patched my tire for me from the inside and did so with a smile.

It was interesting to see a Strada scooter right inside the showroom floor. It was sitting along side a Honda Metropolitan and a few Ruckus' and some bigger Burgmans. The guys there were joking with me about having a scooter and a bike. My response was to tell them how practical it was and how much fun. It was then that one of the guys agreed with my line of reasoning admitting that he too wouldn't mind a scooter.

I have to say that I was very much impressed by Philadelphia Cycle Center. Now they sell Honda, Suzuki, and Kawasaki but not Yamaha yet knew right away all about my bike. In fact a couple of the employees there have FZ6's. I guess that attests to the FZ6's (underground) popularity. They were very nice and professional and even went out of there way to fix a missing screw and set my idle. All this was done in a timely fashion and the communication with them was excellent.

I am however still waiting for my scooter to be repaired. The scooter has been plagued by shop closings, parts delays, and now evidently it needs some additional work. I am hopeful that I will have it back soon but am no longer counting the days as they turn to months. I know I was trying to make it to 5,000 miles before having a shop give it a good once over but am glad it is getting the attention it needs.

For now I am off to go enjoy what is supposed to be an exceptionally beautiful weekend. I hope that everyone does the same. Please have fun out there and be safe!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home