Tuesday, April 11, 2006

rx200hp Progress Report

I realize that my entries have been a little slow coming as of lately and I do apologize. Work and other commitments have been keeping me quiet busy although I have found time to ride, usually late at night. I thought as I have now passed the 1500 mile mark a progress report may be in order.

As most of my readers already know the majority of my riding is done in Center City Philadelphia the rest on the surrounding highways and bridges. There is much speculation as to the suitability of these scooters for real highway riding and truthfully they are not the best although for short runs an rx200hp can easily hit 60mph on a flat. I have gone faster on a decline or with a tailwind but feel comfortable hitting 55mph without any trouble. Therefore I have decided that given its size and speed this truly is the perfect city scooter.

Now I know there are those that will easily argue that many of the classics are just as good and I really do appreciate them as most riders seem to prefer them but given what I paid I can’t complain. The one thing I don’t really have to worry about too much is theft for parts which is a slight piece of mind. Also any replacement part/panel is generally cheaper. Another advantage the rx200hp has, although not water cooled, is the oil cooler feature. I have to imagine that given the stop and go traffic conditions I experience this is a great help towards keeping the engine temperature in check.

In regards to the general conditions here in the City if you have ever visited you will know the streets are horrible! With so many potholes and even cobble stone roads the 13” wheels provide reassurance and slightly better stability at speed I would have to imagine. I have hit some holes before that I thought would swallow us and I have also been launched completely airborne by some of the bumps here. Another constant obstacle is the excessive oil slicks to be found at most every stoplight along with painted strips and manhole covers when it rains. I do try to be careful out there often traveling the routes I know but do really try to push this scooter to see what its capable of and ride in any weather. I have managed in the past to lean so far into turns as to scrape the kick stand. This past week I even went so far as to ride down a couple flights of stairs on the scooter and it always feels solid under me (Don’t try this at home).

All in all I have to say I have been very impressed. While naturally I have the itch for more power I do also have to wonder whether I really need it given how I push the rx200hp. I have been thinking about some minor modifications but will likely wait until the warranty expires. So far though I have only had minor inconveniences. I had the brake light go out on me early on as well as one of the headlight bulbs recently. I lost 2 bolts on the muffler which is surprising given the conditions I ride. Lastly I had my air intake hose crack which was replaced under warranty. Now keep in mind I had my scooter assembled by the dealer and have done all regular maintenance myself except for the tune-up/check-up at 1,000 miles.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mantis, I totally agree with You about the speed thing. Mine will ride comfortably at 55 all day long. But I do have to start pushing it for 60 and beyond. I'm getting mine registered this weekend, and then I can finally get it out of the park, and really RIDE. I think if I had the money, I'd personally go with that "hot shoe tom" special. The new super Strada will probobly be nice, but that's almost too big for My style. Oh, and don't worry, I have NO intention of trying that down-the-stairs thing!!:) Talk at Ya later.

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home