Friday, April 21, 2006

Visit to PSF/MotoStrada Store

Yesterday was such a beautiful day that I decided to take a ride over the bridge to visit PSF. I tried to call ahead to see if Alan was in the warehouse but was told he was on 'vacation'. As it turns out he was supposed to be off last week but was coming into work still, as they were so busy, and thus was off this week. Well guess who I ran into at the store? You guessed it Alan himself obviously not on vacation as the store was busy as could be. They must have sold at least 4 rx200hp's while I was there which I believe was all they had at the store. It appears that the rx200hp really is the peoples choice.

I did have a chance while waiting for Bruce/Alan to check out the rest of the scooters on display. I've decided after looking at the Modesta150 that I really like it. The dual disc brakes and gas shocks should make the scoot a real hot seller. The one disadvantage is that it is not a true step through. I also noted that while previously I thought the Modesta to be the same as the Vento Pantera GT5 that there are unique styling differences between the two. The Vento has a dual lamp setup and some extra 'carbon fiber' flare. Also the windshield on the Vento was clear (as opposed to smoked on the Modesta), slightly taller, and not quiet as finished in appearance. Overall they are both very nice scooters and even Tank has taken on this body style.

I have to say though that the service with Strada in phenomenal. I do have the advantage of being so close to the source but even in their sales tactics I witnessed nothing but honost answers to customers questions. They nicely explained to one customer the true limitations of the smaller 50cc scoots (not in an attempt to upsell at all) and talked another customer through the DMV process in his state. I realize such service is to be expected but unfortunatly often lacking from many dealers. I even had a slight problem with my brake rotor after getting oil on it (my fault) which they fixed for me on the spot for free! So far I have had two warranty issues (the other being a cracked air intake tube) both attributed to how hard I push to scoot and both of which were fixed under warranty.

While only there for an hour or two I did have a chance to speak with Alan briefly about whats been going on behind the scenes and I must admit it sounds very exciting. I got to see a number of engines they were working on in the service center and even Rick's (the underground scooter racer) tricked out rx200hp. Its blue just like mine with lots of carbon fiber, blue tires, chrome rims, and evidently has been through a couple tuned engines with a new one on the way. Its my understanding he races motorcycles and this is his pit bike which he runs at some of the tracks. The folks at PSF are very dedicated to performance development and design. Im also told that the 250's are on their way and there are some real nice suprises on the way too, so stay tuned!

For now I can tell you that for those who have already purchased their scooters that some new accessories are coming such as 2 new (digital) guage clusters and hopefully some nice windscreens. They also have the colored tires I featured previously in this blog as well as 3 & 5 spoke chrome rims. They seem to be working hard to find just the right mix of products whether it be performace or cosmetic. So for those looking to upgrade- scoot, parts, or looks keep an eye out here as I will do my best to bring you the latest and greatest news for Chinese Scooters.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mantis.

I've been trying to get my hands on an RX200 now for the past couple weeks but it seems stock is almost non-existent.

I understand the Version 3 RX200 is due by the beginning of June (there abouts) but am not a big fan of the fake carbon fiber look not the price increase that is likely with the updates they've made to the model.

Did it seem to you that Alan at PSF had more of them? The version 2, I mean, like yours?

I don't suppose he gave you any inside information as to what the new version is going to cost?

Thanks for you help.


Oh yeah, can't wait to hear your 35w H4 review!

6:09 PM  
Blogger cmantis said...

I actually do think they are starting to get low on the stock if not out by now. I imagine they are waiting on a new shipment. As I understand it these should have both and oil-cooler and large head. Is this what you mean by v3? Rick's pit bike (rx200hp) did have 'carbon fiber' panels but I just figured it was added on. Personally I didn't care for it but out at the track everything I bet is carbon fibered out. Also I don't see the cost going up except perhaps as demand rises. Im sure there will be more available soon, I will try to find out more, although I do forsee shortages towards the end of the summer as happened last year. The way gas prices are now who knows?

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mantis, I have been trying to find out for several months when the new 2006 modesta 250/260 will be in. Do you have any idea?

dogrady660

9:33 PM  
Blogger cmantis said...

Me too! I will try to get an answer, I did find out that the 260 (QJ) engine of the modesta is different from the 300 (Linhai) engine of the SS300. I will try to make a trip out to PSF this week and get some updates.

3:49 AM  
Blogger cmantis said...

I guess you may have read the news but the rx200hp is sold out! May I say though that truthfully the rx150ce or the Modesta 150 might even be better. It depends on what you want or are looking for. The rx200hp IMO is the best 'out the box' and city scooter. The other two I mentioned both have dual disc brakes as well as gas shocks. This means better 2-up riding as well as more engine upgrade options. The 4-valve head will not be available for the rx200hp. Just something to think about. It sucks that they had to run out now!

2:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home