Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Coming to a scrEEching halt !

That is exactly how it went down this evening while out for my nightly ride. I was traveling down Deleware Ave, along the river, and was coming up to my turn which is a left hand arrow off a 3 lane road. I was ahead of all the traffic except this one car in front one lane over as I was in the left most lane. I had to think that there was the possibility that this driver might turn left and did a quick mental note just in case. Well before I even had time to finish the scenario out in my head the driver, without signal swerved into my lane. I grabbed two big handfuls of brakes and laid down some rubber. I knew that just in case I was going to have to clear this car and being attentative to his maneuver I steered clear. In the end I was able to properly execute an emergency brake and swerve. I do have to plug the MSF course here as much of what they taught me as well as tips I learned from the Proficient Motorcycling book came into play in this situation. The reason I am writing to tell of this story is not to sell you on a course or book but just a note to ride heads up and think ahead. I recall from my Drivers Ed course back in high school that they tell you when going through a traffic light to pick a spot and go from there. Well I think that is analogous to my point in that you need to look ahead and observe the situation and know what your going to do just 'in case'.

Ride Hard, Ride Safe --> Keep it up & Use the rubbers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home